Saturday, July 28, 2012

Of Eateries, Food and Talk


I hope you have never been to the place(s) I go to. I also hope that you don’t do the things I do in my seasons of convenience. I just hope that you won’t laugh at me either just because I do things differently – differently because you may never do them the way I do…
I have a small joint I love visiting in my seasons of convenience. I don’t know what you understand by the phrase ‘seasons of convenience’ but I hope you know (or dare to remember) those kind of moments when you don’t want to walk too far for a midday meal and you have this option of aka-pliace that is nearby but rather disturbing (read inconveniencing) to the mind? Yeah those ones. And I have such moments quite often. I have such aka-place. It is a cool place by the way, but it has no name - at least for the time being.
But let me give you yesterweek’s account of events while I was at that place.
So I match in. Into that aka-pliace. There are kids playing outside (kids always play in such places by the way). Naughty kids with big eyes who keep staring at you as if houseflies and bees have made homage (read a collabo) on your head. Scary tiny things, these kids. I chose to ignore them. I didn’t greet them either. I pretended not to look at them: “Should I greet kids? Small naughty kids?”, I asked myself, “Nope!”. *And that ‘nope’ word is said with swag.* Bad manners Morris. Those were bad manners. Whatever mun. I was hungry and I needed a meal. I needed a straight meal. A quick straight meal. So I entered dem pliace. Um in and I betcha tell me something else!
Hii ni place mi huenda na msee fulani mwenye style yake ya life ni interesting. First, yeye hu-boil mawaaru kabla kuzikaanga... hehe… Second, ye huanika towel nje kila day in the name of sisi kuamini ati ameoga lakini reality ni hapendi maji; na finally, ye ni msee wa swgga sanahuwezi taka ku-imagine ye hu-come hapa kukula, so kile kitu ye hufanya ni ku-pretend ati ananipeleka – ati yee hu-chill na ku-relax full time huku mi niki-dish… #PorojoNayo! Na ninajua huyu msee akisoma hii atanikamia kuninyonga… OMG! Hehehe…
There are normally two women here, sometimes more. But there are always at least two women I’m familiar with. One is the owner (at least from my silent mind scans) while the other is the one who serves. They always talk in their vernacular. Always. Mara moja moja wakinihurumia ndo wao hutumia Swa kidogo. I always feel bad. I don’t love people talking in vernacular all the time. I don’t like it, unasikia? Sipendi. I love people using their most local language sometimes, because I also DO use mine, but not always. Especially people talking in their vernacular and you are busy eating, munching and swallowing their food! It is like you are eating it with their language too. And that is bad. It is really bad, ama?
But when I entered that place last week, I met the commoner with another woman I don’t know. A woman I later gathered that although she fluently spoke ‘the other language’, she was from another part of this good planet of ours. That happens. So I silently sat down. She has seen me often (the owner) and so it went like;
“Kijana yangu, utakula nini leo?”
And I was like, “Maadhee, kuna chapoz?”. “Eee!” came the answer.
“Okay, niletee moja na githeri…”
“Githeri ya ngapi?” The other one asked while extending her head from the kitchen. “Ya kumi…”. And I chuckled. How dare she ask me that? Si alete tu!
So I sat down there waiting for my githeri ya shilingi kumi na chapo ya twenty bob. I sat there reading non-existent words on a dirty wall. I sat down there reading my mind more than that calendar over there that had been darkened with smoke. A calendar that was just flipped open the other day to reveal a new month, yet you would think it has already been there for a half a year… I sat there looking at myself and imagining what some crook would say or think about me if they found me here – relaxed and waiting. Just chilling out for a meal. OMG! Woreva mun…
But I really love this place. 30 bob is enough to get me a meal. A straight meal. A decent meal. The surroundings are pathetic, but the meals are decent. Didn’t even my Lord say that we should not look so much at what goes inside but what comes out (don’t fight me on that one either)? I always do that. I am told that you should also try to maintain that truism. It helps when dealing with and trying to solve the problem of food and hunger.
This place is cool. Really cool. (And cool as in, kul…) All food/meal/menu impossibilities are made possible here. By the way, did you know that you can get a meal that costs you 300 bob in town for only 50 bob here… Wacha nisiende huko… hehe…
So my food came. I asked for water – no I asked for a cup (not a glass, dude!) There was all this time I had been glaring at the emptiness, a 3 liters capacity jug before me. Blue in color. And over time etiquette has taught me that when you meet such jugs (or see them on a table) you don’t ask for ‘glasses’ but ‘cups’, umesikia? Hakunaga glasses kwa places kama hizi… Eish!
It is here I pretend to be less talkative. So I kept mum as my hosts kept chatting themselves away. It is here I use my mind more than my mouth to talk – always obeying a certain code I use;
a)      Take spoonfuls of food. Don’t take out spoonfuls of words...
b)     Use more water when you want to look at who is talking (because water makes you to look up from your food) – and keep drinking until you can remember them faces off-head
c)      Look at the gestures and eye-talk to understand what is being said – gestures and eyes never ever lie – 99.9% proven (just like my Dettol… hehe…)
d)     Don’t ask questions because they will realize you are listening… and therefore deny you the right of poking into their conversation – remain incognito as far as talk is concerned
Maybe niendelee na hii storo baadaye. So as they were chatting, in came a “doctor”. Si uongo. Daktari wa huyo mama (owner of dem pliace) ali-come. He too was a man of porojo nyingi… maswali mengi yenye hayana maana… But I realized – even though he was using their vernacular to address them – that alikuwa anabahatisha huo udaktari wake na kufanya huyo maadhee kama experiment. Dude! How can a doctor ask you, “Wee mama, kati ya ile dawa ya kwanza na hiyo ya pili, gani ilifanya kazi?” Na “Hebu nione vile ulipika ile dawa nilikupatia…” Eish! Huo si udaktari! Fake doctor indeed. Na amekulia hiyo kazi kwa muda mrefu, coz badala ya yee kuitisha kama mimi (with specificity) alisema tu, “Niletee…!” Na ika-come. Haiya! But my meal was done so singeendelea kukaa hapo to listen to more of the “doctor’s” prescriptions. Aki wamama huumia… iPaid my 30 bob. Then iLeft…
I don’t want this post to be too long. That is enough. Maybe I’ll need to make it longer by writing another. Cheers!

Have a great weekend people.

Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment