Saturday, July 7, 2012

Generation XYZi

I always sit down to wonder at how life was when my dad was my age. Not that I really desire or want to go back there into the realms of time and unearth myself as a 'Morris being' in a classic 50s age, with an odd old school profile and that kind-of old stuff, but because wondering is just right, ama? iWonder because I love thinking. Sometimes you just have to think beyond the normal for life to sound a lil bit more interesting than it was in the morning… or yesterday…
I always wonder how they (akina my dad) used to do their swagga thing or how they used to roam the streets in utter youthfulness with eyes on their “goals” and minds on their “talls”; with a mission on their “toes”, and pride to kill their flaws… I always wonder how they used to walk around, talk around and swear around (hakukuwa na words kama “nkt”, ama “damn”, ama “Geez!” or the *f* word) iWonder if their walk was bouncy or ouncy. I don’t know. That is one thing I really need to ask that old man next time I meet him coz, yeah, I really need to know… I need to know if they lied to their parents, if they ever sneaked out just to go and have a stolen kiss (Geez!)… I need to know if they ever were teenagers or they just grew up being old, (hehehe), and if they ever were rebels or veeeeeery, veeeeeery obedient kids. Kama atanienjoy nitajua tu… But nimegundua I need to know so many things about how they used to run life. Things that may prove to me why their generation (generation “X”) was (and still is) so different from ours....
OK. Let’s look at some other comparatives… I always wonder if there was lipstick or mascara or iP (don’t mind how I spell it) or pencils, or supras or tights or sagging or 3 kwenjes… or stillettos, or gladiators just swagga, you know. iWonder how they used to do their hair – wachana na hizo picha wao hutuonyesha, nataka vitu solid and real… iWonder kama kulikuwa na Mohawkers hizo siku zao… iWonder kama walivaaga some revealing tops kama zetu ama I don’t know what… iWonder if they ever were lazy or forgetful, or slow or bad at school or ‘badly influenced by their friends and peers’. iWonder if they ever sinned or got pregnant before marriage… mavitu kama hizo, unacheky?! iWonder if there came times when they felt wamejamia mapaaro wao juu ya storo moja ama nyingine… Of course there were no phones (so no Facebook or Twirra or baba Gooooogle). *Sigh.* Bless the Lord there were no computers no TV, no radios, *sigh again*… iWonder if their parents used to get mad at them (maybe around 19-fifty-something), *oh my*… What was their definition of swagga, anyway? What made life so gorgeous and interesting in those clumsy times? What was reaaaaallly that interesting-in-thing hizo siku? iWonder. I just wonder. Did they have surprises? OK, wacha tusiende huko…
Sasa wacha tuendelee na hii storo… When I was younger and rowdy, I used to overhear my old chap talk about life in his time and age (that is when he was exactly the age I was then) to be flowery and angelic - that somehow inspires me to write another post which I may call “Flowers and Angels”, hehe… - he really got into my nerves! And it sometimes caused me to want to say back at him, "Heey, mzee, si uende uishi kwa hizo siku zenyu poa poa zenye hazikuwa na taabu na matatizo, eeeiiiish!" But I neither had the grace nor the guts; point being, you can’t talk to your old man like that. You can’t do that if you still need a roof on your head and free food and some chum in your torn pockets… So you swallow his noise, pretend it is ‘really cool’, praise him a lil bit, bring him water to drink, ask him if he needs his legs washed, warm some water for him, (and even) offer to wash them as he rants, and move on… but always with a wounded ego… with a judgmental atmosphere hanging all around you two for the rest of that evening, or morning, or whatever…
You see, guys of my dad’s generation make our times seem reeeeaaaally diabolic, really demonic. They always paint this age (generation “Y”) as reaaally satanic and reaaally out of place. But I don’t think we are all that. I don’t think so. I don’t think these generation “X” people have much to offer in the name of righteousness. I don’t think so.  I don’t think they can hail the ‘holier than thou’ tagline and win. This to me ain’t no win-win situation. It is a two way thing. We have differences which we should learn to embrace. We are good at one thing they ain’t. They are good at some things we ain’t. That is the point. We are both good but at different things. Yeah. We love doing things one way (because this is 2012, ladies and gentlemen) while they loved doing things another way (because that was the 20th Century, o good people). We-are-di-ffer-re-nt! Eiiish! We can’t run our game like they used to. They can’t run their game like they used to either. Eiiish! Times have changed. We can’t run the game the same way. Oh my good Lord, I need more Grace…
Fact has it that two generations are always at conflict and miles apart in terms of value systems, conflict resolution, vision building, thought perception, spiritual upbringing and general likes and dislikes in life. Like it or not that’s just the way it is. But mystery of mysteries is that when a third generation comes in, the first one becomes laid back, as the second generation takes over to blame or criticize the next generation. And the cycle goes on and on… So these are some of the things we can stumble on and learn to live with or conquer;
No. 1 - They are old. We are young. Old is old. Young is young. Young may love some few aspects of old, but it is still young, and vice versa – that’s where the game should always begin whether in natural aspects or in spiritual matters…
No. 2 - They were young, and now they are old. We are young, and we-are-still-young! Hehe! This question of “What happened to the good old days?”, that they love asking daily should stop. Even the Bible in Ecclesiastes 7:10 (NIV) says Do not say, ‘Why were the old days better than these?’
For it is not wise to ask such questions...” Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it-is-not-wise-to-ask-such-questions! Really. *While making sign of the cross – Amen!* And reality has it that we soon will be asking the same question to the next generation (which I choose to call “Z”). I guess it will be more weird than we are today – I think we’ll kick those kids really hard too shape them in the ways of the Lord… hehe… Let’s go on…
No. 3 – A lot has changed. Technology has changed. The dressing code has changed. Speech has changed. Linguistic orientations have changed. People have changed. Smiles have changed. Desires have changed. Motivators have changed. Love has somehow changed. Value systems have changed. They may have changed for the good or for the worse, but they have changed anyway. Parenting has changed - so has “kidding”. We should just embrace today as it is, and learn to deal with it just as it is. No blame games. No ‘good old day’ tags. No ‘watoto wa siku hizi’ tags. Things have changed bwana – no need to say too much on this, buddies...
No. 4 – Let me make this one my last one on this one. Guys, guys, guys, stomp! We disagree a lot with those people from generation “X”. Can’t we just sit down and understand one another? OK. I understand peroos are kind-a like, “We are de say in dis pliace,” but if we sit down just a lil bit everyday and look each other in the eye, and be concerned with what our peroos feel about us and what we feel about them, we can understand one another. I think so. I think step by step, day by day, we can understand each other if we choose to listen to each other. We can reach a consensus. So if you are a parent and you read this blog and you too are a young person reading it, make it a choice to create a platform where there can be understanding between you and your child/parent.
Generational gaps should not be a hindrance to our unity as children and parents. We should seek to agree even if it seems impossible. Let’s not make it harder to join these generations. Of course they will never be uniformly united, but they can agree in the most essential parts of living. It is for this reason that when the next generation comes in, it can find a solid ground to build on from – somewhere to begin. Somewhere where people talk to one another and agree even when things have (or are) really blown or are blowing apart. The generation that is to come, generation “Z”, (whatever that means), should not grow apart from us but should grow at par with us…
So, go out there and make it count!
Blessings.
Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment