Friday, March 15, 2013

Whatever God Does, He Does


I have made endless reflections on what we had asked for from God as Kenyans before the General Election held on March 4th: we wanted a peaceful free and fair election, free of violence and a good leadership thereafter that will be the people’s choice. That is what we wanted, or (maybe) what we needed.
Although the average me is not the political type (referring to the politics of governance and not the politics of fact and reason), I have been wrestling within myself with the facts at hand: facts such as the reality of a new constitutional dispensation, new governance (though I am not quite sure about this because of the on-going election petitions), revived expectations and so many other things which you political guys out there can fill in…
Be it as it may, our prayers have given us a few realities to live with regardless of whether they (the realities) are good or bad - because all this depends on which side of the political coin you fall, and who you think should be our president or leaders in general…
Nevertheless, I guess God answered our prayer(s), right? We fasted and prayed (I had several partners I did this with) crying out to God for a better leadership and a peaceful and prosperous Kenya. And God answered our prayer(s). Glory be to His Name. He answered our prayers: Psalm 34:17 [ESV]: When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. I had been so sure that God was going to answer our prayers that I had assured my fellow youth at church after our Bible Study that, “Guys, mark my words, there’s not going to be violence/clashes this time round, no matter what has been said all through…”
So with all that going on in my mind after the General Elections, God has been saying to me (or in another way, rhetorically asking me), “When you prayed to me for Peace, did I not answer you in my utmost faithfulness?” And I have been answering, “Yes LORD, You did”. And though I have been replying with a “Yeah LORD, You are faithful to answer [all] our prayer(s),” it has been hard to admit that my answer to God is what is being replicated in every Kenyan’s mouth, and at times even myself…
What has been stirring numerous questions in me has been: are these leaders we elected so far the BEST there could ever be as far as God’s children and this nation is concerned?
But again while tormenting my mind with questions, I have been reminded that God has mercy on whosoever He chooses and compassion on whosoever He pleases [Romans 9:15/Exodus 33:19 [ESV]: For he says to Moses,   “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”]. The truth has been (and will always be) that no man has ever made choices for God. Okay, righteous men may influence God to make choices, but they will never make decisions for Him… And in the contest of prideful Kenyan Christians, and for the good reason of stopping us from boasting of what a good leader we had chosen for ourselves; and also for the sake of literally ensuring that we are not seasonal intercessors but a people who are always standing on the walls of our nation in prayer, God has decided that the leadership we have is what we should have.
I have wrestled with Proverbs 16:1 [ESV]:The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORDfor a long time already. I have wanted to judge God for exposing us to “tough” situations as a nation in the name of hardening our faith, but I have come to realize that whatever God does, He does… and He does it for the good of us all (Romans 8:28) because only Him (as we all know and believe) knows and has the very best for us…
This is how and why:
  1. He wants us to know that in the same way He answered us concerning a peaceful elections (regardless of how some of us may perceive the elections), He was and is faithful to make our nation abound in plenty regardless of what people and nations say. He wants to show us His power if we continually seek Him on behalf our land – just as we did before the elections. He wants us to be consistent in asking, so that He may be consistent in giving…He wants us never to cease seeking Him…
  2. He wants us to stop wholly depending on other nations. To stop being terrified by sanctions and 1st world nations. He wants us to humbly tell the nations that He is in control and that we (in every way possible and against all odds) are going to be okay. He wants us to face the reality of sanctions and impossibilities with a confident spirit. He wants to create a pride in us for His Name in this land. He wants us to tell the nations that we are of God, and if He is with us, no one can be against us. He wants them to be terrified of us – that we can manage it because we believe in Him. He wants us to stop being terrified, but start proclaiming the year of the Lord, the year of Jubilee (biblically but not politically)…!!
  3. He wants us to acknowledge Him as the main leader of our land and pray for our leadership just as in the days of old. He wants Kenya to know that what HE DOES, HE DOES… and that because He is God, He should know what He is doing. We are never left or forsaken by Him, right?
I know we may not agree on many things here on earth, and mainly concerning the Kenyan political landscape, but we should at least agree with God that He is omniscient and omnipotent. We should agree that God has this nation inscribed on the palm of His hand. We should agree that we are not supposed to give up on Kenya. We should at least appreciate what we have – a nation that we can freely and peacefully build…Yeah, we should agree on so many other things…
I am trying to see Kenya through the eyes of God, and I am learning to thank Him that He cares so much not to let us forsake Him in the name of dwelling in our comfort zones… I am trying because there I should… I am trying because I want to see things differently and as a child of God…
God has the best for us. Only the best.
Can we start seeing it that way, at least from today?

Bonface Morris.  

No comments:

Post a Comment