Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Live Blogs: K.A.G. Annual National Youth Conference 2015, Day 1

Tuesday, 21st April, 2015 (Day 1)

Let's just say that today is the D-day. We're moving to Kitengela (Kajiado County) for the Kenya Assemblies of God National Youth Conference. The conference will last until Friday this week.
From this day onwards, I'm writing down stuff happening to me and around me in real time...

5.00am - 8.00am
I'm up early. I mean, if I'm up by 5.00am, boy that's way too early. 2 hours early from the normal me.
I'm at the allocated place by 8.00am. Waiting for the bus. We wait till 12pm. These guys have been telling us that they're "around the corner" for way too long. 

12.00pm
It should be epic. Yes, it should be. (And yeah, I just used that word, haha.) Thanks to a few things:
We're in a bus with weird people. They are the kind of people who sing to every song on the bus stereo. Attention freaks. Dang. Weird attention freaks. But let's see what will culminate.
I love traveling except for traveling in a noisy bus. But I'll tolerate it. These two guys on my left side (yeah, bad thing is I didn't get to have a chair next to a window) keep on buzzing in my left ear. Question is can't some people just keep quiet?
The bus
12.30pm
The driver, forgetting that he's in the company of Bible thumbers, puts on Lady Jaydee's song on the bus stereo (I don't know which one but I'm sure it's her voice.) One of the two ninjas - I'll be calling them buzzers from now onwards - stands up to dance. My bad. He's told to sit down but begs to continue dancing saying, "Do not judge". Hah.

12.47pm
The driver is rude. He doesn't turn down the volume even after I've pleaded with him twice. The guy on my left joins the buzzers in their hysteria.
Inside the bus
1.00pm
I'm dozing. I think I'm hungry. The five slices of bread I had in the morning have vanished. Just like that. But lemme lenga it for a while.

1.30pm
I miss them days when I used to charge my phone once in a week. Remember them Nokia 1-somethings of mid-2000s? *Sigh* My phone charge is 78%. (I bet DU Battery Saver Pro is just some type of battery saving hoax... If you are an Android ninja/ninjerette, you know that we have a couple of those.)
The quiet ones in this bus are still as quiet as ever. The noisy ones are shutting up. (Yeah, I knew they will. Eventually.)
I've just spotted a guy with a wedding ring far bigger than his finger. It is hanging on his finger like a necklace. Lol, I'm done here.

2.00pm
Buzzers are asleep. And there's this guy trying to get the actual number of people in the bus - the guy with a white button on a black shirt. Then there's this shop called "Highway Saloon" outside. Saloon? Okay, I think it's the hunger speaking now.

2.13pm
 It seems we have ghost people on the bus. It has a capacity of 50 people but it seems we now have around 54 on board. 4 are unaccounted for. Kenyans!!
Of course it is a hired bus, but there are 4 ghost people. Hah... And they'll never be verified.

2.38pm
Just looking at that inverted writing on the windscreen "SCHOOL BUS" bores me.

3.00pm
Buzzers are back.

3.14pm
Suburbs are full of these churches where a big banner with the pastor, his wife and the name of the ministry are huddled somewhere at the front. I spot one of those on the way.

3.25pm
I've just remembered that a certain High Schooler had texted me an hour ago and I forgot to reply. The bad thing is that texting and an empty stomach don't go together. And considering the rate at which these kids text nowadays, I think I did myself some good by hanging up.
Some song by one of these Kenyan musician pastors is now playing on the stereo - a very common repetitive song.

3.50pm
Some guy comes to chat me up. (The one with a white button in the middle of his black shirt). No dude, I can't talk. I'm in some sort of nodding mode. And, as usual, smiling will make me friendly. I'll seem like I'm listening and that I'm interested.

4.04pm
One of the buzzers (the one who just ate guavas) is now sharing with the white buttoned guy (who I've now learned is called Boaz) on doctrinal controversies amongst Kenyan preachers. I'm still maintaining my stare-watch-nod-smile-and-see mode. My butt is hurting. I'm shifting kiujanja on my seat so that nobody notices my quest for comfort.

4.12pm
I'm now surviving on 2G internet. 59% battery. One of the buzzers is now preaching. Seriously preaching to US. Lol. He's stopped by being given some piece of chapati. Silence. Eating. Silence. Talk between eating. (Repeat.)

4.30pm
The preaching is back on. Everyone on the bus is now alert and listening to these guys. It is raining outside. And, oh, the buzzer is a pastor. (Or so it seems). You should listen to these guys now arguing about pastors' salaries!! They've even made me forget that I'm hungry.
Buzzer-preacher
4.51pm
Someone now requests that we give some offering because the "preaching" from the buzzer-preacher has been powerful and inspiring. Kenyans!!

5.05pm
The bus pulls to the side of the road. Yeah, we needed a break. I'm able to take a few photos of the bus (I had forgotten to do it before departure). And thanks to MAPS.ME Offline Maps (yeah, Android is this cool), I realize that we are still a number of kilometers shy of Nakuru. This is one of those places where a 3G signal is like gold and because my phone ain't rooted, I can't use a signal booster. Oh well...

5.20pm
There's a Chinese phone on board. I just heard that "excuse me darling, you have a text message" ringtone.

5.37pm
These are those moments you start questioning yourself: "Did I lock the door before I left!?" "Do I have enough money on my M-PESA account...!?" bla bla bla. Also, these are those moments you elevate mobile banking. You begin knowing that mobile banking is for travellers, and not ninjas like me who sleep under the same blanket every night for almost a whole year.
And here is someone stepping on my shoes every few minutes. Like seriously? Don't step on my shoes!!

5.37pm
This guy's Mama Kanisa just called him (the guy on my right) and they seem not to understand each other.

6.24pm
A raw avocado just dropped from the same guy's bag. Hah.

6.32pm
We're in Nakuru town. I'm also thinking about a lady and a guy I know right here in this bus. They both are "ripe" for marriage. I'm thinking can matchmake them or something, haha... I mean, this guy is a bit shy. The lady too is the introverted type. Mmmmh, maybe I can pray for both - that they may have the courage to talk... Let's wait and see...
Kuna kajam hapa hivi kwa hii town.
 
7.08pm
Tryna get a place to eat in Nakuru. Guys are heated up. Food is a dangerous thing when young people need it kinda NOW. Dangerously good. We all love blaming Esau for acting so cheap with his brother's soup, yet I know many occasions when we can beat him at his own game.
I end up eating a fake kebab (yeah, it is something close to mutura rolled in eggs then deep fried) and fries. They sale soft drinks here as if they are cocktailed in Jesus' wine at Cana. But I buy one. I have to.

8.08pm
Heading to Nairobi. 28% battery. I'm now thinking of watching one episode of The Blacklist, but with 28% battery? Naaah.

8.20pm
It is dark, and after eating, even the buzzers are asleep. With the way our driver is behaving, (driving at 40km/h), tutafika Kitengela kesho. 

22.37pm
I think I've been dozing upto now. But somewhere my slumber, people sang and someone preached. People are singing. I mean, there are two things people do when they don't know what to do: sing or sleep. But this preacher-buzzer is notorious... Who speaks for this long?

23.00pm
You appreciate your phone maps quite well when you're a traveler. Say measuring distance to your destination right in the bus. Mombasa Road is where we are. Our destination is close.

23.23pm
In Kitengela town.

23.48pm
We're here!!!
This place is super awesoooome!!
7% battery. That means no photos for now...
KAG University at night

1.00am
Bedtime.

Let's meet tomorrow, guys.

For #KAGNYC2015 #NYC2015


Bonface Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment