Thursday, March 10, 2016

Stuff I Learned and Discovered Last Year (2015 Edition)

Life lessons, 2015 Edition
Since 2013, I've been capturing and noting down a few lessons along the way as the years pass by: things that have made me raise my eyebrows for good reasons.

You can read the lessons from 2013 here in the 2013 Edition and from 2014 here in the 2014 Edition.

This post lists a few inputs from what I captured last year. This does not make me wise, but just keen and observant. (Petty sometimes, as someone I knowy8u recollects.) I encourage you to note down a few of your own on every single moment of your life. You may end up realizing that, after all, your years are really never wasted; and that almost every step of your life has something to teach you.

Here goes...

Lessons on life and personal growth
1. I learned was that there are at least three things you should have done to yourself as a normal person by the end of a year:
(a) You've called yourself stupid a couple of times
(b) You've called yourself great and,
(c) You've called yourself awesome
This is because no one is consistently the same thing throughout the year; only dead people are that way.

2. The world lacks peace makers, it lacks reasonable people. But it is full of go-getters and "fighters". It is like everyone wants to fight and win. Many crisis would be solved only if we had the intervention of people seeking to mend the world, not to tear it apart.

3. We change nothing by keeping quiet. We all should be whistle blowers - shouting and screaming to save a world that is being haunted by injustice and hypocrisy. And not only whistle-blowers, but doers of the very deeds that save the world.

4. By increasing the good use of my idle and wasted time by committing my 15 to 30 minutes a day to reading an ebook ( I have a problem with reading paperback books) or listening to podcasts while cooking, washing or heading home, I achieved some sort of multitasking capability which made me learn quite a lot in such a small amount of time. (This was after my laptop broke down somewhere at the beginning of 2015. All things work for good, no?)

2. The momentum you begin a year is important; and much better is the zeal with which you'll work it out. But what matters most is what you do in the course of the year and how you end it, not how you begun it.

3. Podcasts happened to me last year. I downloaded a few, I'm following a few, and I ain't regretting it.

4. People move on. If you don't, your bad.

5. Most of the things we possess are due to comparing ourselves to others and our endless clinging on competition. If we were to be left alone in this world, we would have so little - just what is enough and necessary for our basic upkeep.

6. People who say nothing online are always present. They are like ghosts; vicious ghosts that are ready to stalk you, pounce on you, read and analyze your every post and become your biggest critics while offline on in your inbox. I've learned to ignore them. I ignore them because life is full of people who do nothing but are always criticizing people who do everything meaningful. They are like the devil: he does nothing but is always here criticising the good we do which he is incapable of doing.

7. The more educated you are, the pettier and more choosy you become. (I'll quote Malcolm Muggeridge on this one: "We have educated ourselves into imbecility...")

8. If you limit yourself to what you already know, how else are you going to change the world? The world is changed by people who take risks: those who choose to wade through the uncharted territory; not those who limit their possibilities to what they already know and what has already been proven and done.

9. A wise man that does not speak wisdom to a fool is in one way or another, the worst fool. 

10. That one thing that we have been equally given is time; you don't have more, I don't have less. At least God is fair, eh?

11. Life has four classes which we all need to simultaneously attend:
1. Of dealing with God.
2. Of dealing with self.
3. Of dealing with people and
4. Of dealing with books.
If we miss the balance while dealing with each, and in relation to others, we all get deformed.

Lessons on leadership and parenting
Note: Parenting lessons were learnt through observing various families around me. I am not an expert of any sort on this topic.
1. Speaking from a youth leader point of view, I think parents assume that young people have no right to audience. That they are only to be commanded, heckled at and ignored. You wanna know what escalates rudeness in young people? It's because you ignore everything they're trying to say.

2. I learned that vulnerability is a good thing for a leader. It's one of the best things that can ever happen to him/her and those under him/her.

3. That thing where parents dismiss a young person before they even try to explain themselves, whether right or wrong, births a drift between the two of them that will keep growing over time. They then should never wonder what happened to their once "good children", when everything falls apart some day and they don't seem to tell them anything.

4. Nobody follows a dumb person unless that dumb person is something close to Stephen Hawking.

5. Fathers and mothers are bringing up solid and empowered ladies/women. That's a great thing. O don't deny it, it is a great thing. But they're altogether forgetting to bring up solid and empowered gentlemen/men to compliment and/or match these ladies. The result is a world that is upside down. And ladies can rant all they want about not meeting so many "ideal men", but the main point still is: they should tell these mothers and fathers, "Please bring up men for us too. Or the world will have too much of our 'empowered' selves and abandon us in unchivalrous agony."

6. There's no great writer and/or leader who does not read. I discovered that writing takes the clutter that are the words in our minds and converts them into meaningful and decipherable statements to benefit people around us; reading is the yardstick that guides that process. 

7. I discovered that taking feedback from the people I lead is just as important as expecting them to give heed to and follow the instructions I give them. Leadership is two way.

Lessons on Christian living
1. God is our Father, not our servant. Once you realize how Sovereign He is, how Holy, how powerful and how exalted He is, you seize commanding Him to do things for you like most crazy Christians are doing today. You should go ask the prophet Isaiah about this for further clarification.

2. When you're open-minded, (I am doing a blog on open-mindedness which I'll drop soon), you tend to learn a few things :
(a) Not to see people as "a whole" but as individuals with unique choices i.e. a person from a specific tribe will be handled as an individual and separate from their tribal affiliation  e.t.c.
(b) To give people people a second chance and treat them beyond reasonable doubt as individuals who can change
(c) To refuse to think that you are a god and that you are immune to the things affecting these other people. You'll start seeing ladies who became pregnant before marriage differently, you see Willy Paul and Kanyari differently e.t.c.
(d) You start learning to see people as God sees them, thus no prejudice: broken, needy (for a Savior) and subject to change. You realize that anyone can change into anything if given chance.
(e) You become less judgmental but more appreciating; and you accept that anyone can be used of God and become anything. You don't start drawing lines/boundaries for who can be or cannot be your spouse based on your pettiness.

3. Christian conferences and seminars don't change anyone. They simply expose us to a wider range of possibilities, which is a very great thing to everyone seeking to grow and become better. Conferences challenge us to become better, but change itself is a choice anyone can make with or without attending a conference.

4. If we keep on kicking each other endlessly and mercilessly in the butt as Christians in the presence of the people who do not know or love God, they'll all eventually think: "Seriously, they can't even agree with each other nor genuinely love each other, so why should I trust them to have the best life so far? Is the good life in Jesus they are telling me about everyday even worthwhile?" That made me have quite some lengthy thoughts on John 13:35 (Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are My disciples.) It opened my eyes to what true Christianity is all about.

5. I think we spend too much time teaching people how to pray or evangelize that we rarely do it ourselves. We rarely pray or evangelize. Therefore, I concluded that evangelism seminars are useless if after everything, no-one goes out to evangelise. Music lessons are also useless if there won't be any singing after they're done.

6. I discovered that Christians in the market place are and could be the best evangelists and witnesses of Christ only if they utilize their opportunities well. (I picked this from one of Rick Warren's podcasts. See? Podcasts are a great thing. :-) )

7. It is very rare that someone who is not consistent with God could be consistent in life. Very rare.

Lessons on relationships and marriage
1. It's weird how people expect others to grow wise overnight or immediately after marriage. It is assumed that all married people are wise. But that's not the case because I am meeting so many married people who don't even know what they are doing in there. 
Example: Say I was gonna get married in a fortnight or so. After a couple of days, people will be expecting me to unleash words of wisdom to all "young people" I left behind as "youth". They forget that wisdom is not an overnight thing. If I can't practice using and delivering it now as a single person, it won't be there after I'm married. Wisdom is not an overnight thing. People should therefore allow the unmarried to be wise too. Because almost half of the New Testament was written by an unmarried apostle (Paul) and Christianity leans on the teachings of the Son of God who was never married. Oh yeah.

2. I confessed something to my bae (damn, this is personal). I told her this: Can I tell you how I love you? This is how I love you: I love you too much to not want to lose you. To want to always be with you. But I also love you knowing that nothing lasts forever except the things that concern the heaven of God.

3. Marry a woman who'll take care of your mother when you're abroad. 

4. I learned that one of the main causes of wrangles and divisions in families and relationships is when couples and family members stop waiting for each other apparently in everything: they watch separate TV Shows, use separate cars, eat from separate tables at different times, go to bed at different times, go to separate churches, love different leisure activities etc. There's no waiting for each other at all. This is how drifts keep growing and people end up not tolerating each other.

5. Married people should write blogs to help both the single and unmarried get life, relationships and marriage right. It is foolish to keep complaining yet never helping.

6. Family is important. It is the first place my faithfulness and service should be felt. If I'm only good to outsiders and not to members of my own family, I have missed the point of what life on earth is all about.


Family


Bonface Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment