Friday, March 24, 2017

Whatever You Do, Please Don't Fall In Love


Or fall in love anyway;

Fall in love so deeply, so recklessly...Fall in love so that your heart can be barbecued, grilled and smothered;
Fall in love so that your mind can explode a multiple times into small fragments like fireflies and disappear into oblivion...
Yes, maybe, just fall in love so that you may know the depths of bliss and disarray;
Fall in love anyway, because there is no one that is going to catch you after you come down with a thud!


Because,
If you've ever fallen in love,
If you've ever been loved,
There are two things; no, three things that you have found to be true:
That love is circular: it goes around and comes around,
That love is inexpensive: it brags itself to be aloof and in a class of its own ; and
That mature love is like wine: when you take too much of it, you get drunk, too little of it makes you yearn for more and "just enough" is never enough.

So falling in love leaves you neither in the waters of love nor on the shores...

But in a way I can't explain, mature love cripples the soul.
It retards it's ability to do normal things.
It matures the soul into doing the unthinkable, extraordinary, stupid and almost malevolent things;

Mature love is dangerous.
Childish love is dangerous.
Lukewarm love is dangerous.
All love is dangerous.
All love is not bad; just dangerous.

Stories of love are stories of bloody hearts and broken bones,
They are stories of rugged crosses, thorn-brawed faces and empty graves.
They are stories full of stories inside stories that were stories.


In all my life, I've fallen in love at least twice.
I know how it feels. I know how it tastes.

I know its pits and mountains, its lilies and scotches.I know its sourness and it's sweetness.
I've tasted both the angst and the anticipation;
And all these times, love has proved two things: that it tastes the same way if you get it just right,
And that it can be trodden upon just much;

But if you were my son and you happened to ask me, "Dad, should I fall in love?"
I'll tell you this:
It is beautiful, but it is dangerous. So, please, whatever you do, son, don't fall in love. Or fall in it anyway, because your heart can't help it and somehow, love delights and thrives in it own wars.


********
This tiny writing is for that person who knows what it means when we say, "I am thirsty, but please don't give me water, it will kill me."


Bonface Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment