Friday, September 14, 2012

Baby, You're A Star - Deitrick Haddon (A Review)


As of tonight, I had already decided to go to bed. In fact I had shut down this machine and was going to have that reflection bit of time just before bedtime. But I got reminded to encourage someone. Yeah, I got reminded that someone needs me tonight – or tomorrow morning. Someone somewhere. It is so much in me tonight. So all I am going to write down in this post is going to be for someone who needs it – if it is not for you, just know that it is not – let it remain at that.
When I first heard this song, it struck me as one of those songs D Haddy does in an album just for me – like “One Blood” in Revealed (a 2008 album). It is one of those songs I’d rather sing along to alone than in a congregation. That which I sing to without a keyboard. The one I sing to with my voice raised out so loud – with passion. With a passion so deep that after yelling out loud, I rarely will understand what I just did… By the way, have you ever sung a song with passion? Have you ever tagged passion in song? This is one of those songs you passionately clap somewhere (like that line… “but let me encourage you…”) and feel like it is blowing you away... because it speaks a message to your soul – something about what God says we are… what God ultimately says that I am…
But let me reduce too much story telling on this one.
The song is in a 2011 Album “Church On The Moon” by Deitrick Haddon. It is a great project. One featuring greats like his wife, Damita Haddon and J Moss. It is a D Haddy project but you can always be sure there is Voices of Unity (his singing team) somewhere in the album.
The theme of this song is simple: you are a star, and it doesn’t matter what somebody else says you are. You are a star. You are star material… That’s who you are!
Just to add a little meat, the last time I heard such a message in a song; it was Juanita Bynum singing “It’s Inside of You” from My Passion album (2010) and from Jonathan Butler singing “It’s Already There” from The Worship Project – a 2004 album.
This song says it all: all that we can ever want or need is right here with us no matter what we may think we have ended up to become or what people tend to say (or think) we are. The everlasting God says so many things about us His children, but what we need to be absolutely sure of is that He has said that we are like stars in the sky...shining forth His glory for the whole world to see and know… God is present. He is present. He is our Peace. He is our provider. He is our Healer. He is our God. I believe He is the main light that keeps the hope of brilliance in a dark night that is the present world. If at all God says we are beautiful, we should always believe we are. If He says that we are more than conquerors, we should believe without doubt that we TRULY are. If He says that no weapon formed against us shall prosper, we are in that position if we DO believe. We are protected - because He depends on us to shine forth His light – to extend His glory into the dark world. My friend, it doesn’t matter where you are from (your origin or the far you have come), or where you are. It only matters that he is your God, my God, our God, and ever present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1) because if He has been faithful to keep you (read, ‘us’) up to today, He will keep you (read, ‘us’) tonight, tomorrow, the day after and right over the dark gloom that you (read, ‘we’)  cannot see! He is a God who sees beyond our today and tomorrow - He sees the Big Picture (just as Da’ T.R.U.T.H. says). Just believe that you are a star. Don’t you know who you are? And don’t let nobody tell you nothing different from what you already know – you’re a star!

"Baby, You're A Star"
Deitrick Haddon
Album: Church On the Moon (2011)

[Intro:]
Somebody's out there listening right now.
So please turn your radio oh oh oh. Yeah.

[Verse 1:]
She planned to finish school and get a degree.
Start a business and make her own money.
But somehow her dreams didn't work out that way.
She fell in love at the age of sixteen.
Had two babies and she couldn't believe that the boy she loved is now gone away.
But because you've had some setbacks in ya life.
It doesn't mean you shouldn't let, just let your dreams die.

[Chorus:]
Baby you're a star
Don't cha know who you are
Don't chu let anybody tell you nothin' different, but you know what's in ya heart
But baby you're a star
Don't cha know who ya are
If you could only see what I see, but first you must believe oh you're a star

[Verse 2:]
He graduated at the top of the class
Had everything he needed and more.
And like eagle he was made to soar.
But at the wrong place, at the wrong time
Introduced to a drug that messed up his mind.
Lost so many years now he's makin up for lost time
And you may have fallen on your journey my friend
But let me encourage you to get back up and try again

[Chorus:]
Baby you're a star
Don't cha know who you are
Don't let nobody tell you nothin' different, but then cha know that's in ya heart.
But baby you're a star
That's you ya are
If you could only see what I see, you first must believe baby you're a star

[Bridge:]
You are only human, you're born to make mistakes along the way
And God has blessed you with something that is so pure.
You just need some motivation, and need a little push
To get up off floor and walk through the dark

[Chorus:]
Baby you're a star ooh.
Don't let her tell ya nothin' different, than what ya know what's in your heart
Baby, baby, baby you're a star
You still can read to go, you got to take control
Baby you're a star ohh.
Ah oh. Ah oh.
I know, I know baby you're a star.
That's who you are.
Just make up in your mind that you were meant to shine.
Baby... You're a star
That's who ya are. [Fade]

Lyrics courtesy of http://www.azlyrics.com

Remain encouraged,
Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment