Thursday, June 13, 2013

Stories of Love and Betrayal

There once was narrated to me a story of two lovebirds. It was told to me by a trusted friend, and because I believe in this friend of mine, I'll write it as I remember it...

One fine morning (well it's a story, and all stories have every right to begin that way, right?) as I was busy and about my business, I met him (that friend of mine) and I randomly happened to ask him, "Mun, what is it all about love and relationships nowadays? Why are there so many broken hearts and shattered marriages today?" In reply, because he promised that his answer will need "tea accompaniment", he booked a sitting with me in order to tell me this story and he later attached some reasonable truth to it:-

"There once existed a guy and a chiq who in one way or another opportunity struck and they fell in love. The intensity of their love for each other was unheard of. It was off this world. People from across their neighborhood knew of their love, their great love. It was such a deep, unwavering love. O what a profound thing they beheld!

"They did all that there could ever be in order to please and be in good terms with each other - so their love, like their age, grew in bounds... They said words, things. They bought gifts, things. They rode on the mighty wings of understanding, tender loving care and listening to one another. They went places, dreamt. They fought races, dreamt. They did this together.

"Time passed by and that love, the heavenly love of the two young people, begun facing challenges", he said. "Disagreements emerged (like in every other relationship) over stupid things. They started fighting a lot, quarreling and blaming each other. There were trust issues (as many would call them), life issues and betrayal issues. There were issues to do with goals and marriage and ambitions. Their relationship begun draining away. They started shifting attention away from each other. They became more silent - never sharing even the little that had remained between them. They listened more to other people than to their partner. Understanding diminished. Listening diminished. Support diminished. Love started becoming boring. The love they had for one another started becoming shallow. They started feeling that they did not need each other, and that they 'were not meant for each other.' They had betrayed each other, and most importantly, they had betrayed their love for each other...

"Those who knew them kept on wondering if these two 'lovebirds' will EVER rekindle their love again..." 

At this point, I looked at my friend and wondered, "Can that happen to me... to you...?" It was starting to be a hybrid of a Naija movie and a Mexican telenovela... both of which I had a grudge against...

But he continued: "Morris, there is something that happens to relationships today, just like the one I've mentioned, that I would want you to note. Love does not just disappear from relationships, no. Love is MADE to disappear by the actions people practice for or against each other. There are 3, no, 4 tests to true love;

  1. It forgives wrongs done
  2. It rebukes what is wrong - it corrects
  3. It believes even when there is nothing left to believe in - it always hopes
  4. It is not selfish (or self-seeking) but sacrifices its all for the other partner.

"That is why so many relationships are falling apart..." "Tell me," he asked, 'Is this a story you can relate with/to?'"

...

Bonface Morris.


No comments:

Post a Comment